Television is a huge industry in India having thousands of programs in many languages. The small screen has produced numerous celebrities. More than half of all Indian households own a television.
Now a day’s most of the youth are addicted to TV shows. Some shows like KBC, Dance+, Sare Gama Pa, Dance India Dance, National Geography, etc. are so good for youth. But some of the shows are badly affecting the youth. Let's discuss the adverse side effects of Reality TV on youth.
Adverse Side Effects of Reality TV
Reality television consists of programs which purport to showcase people appearing as themselves in a variety of different contexts. Many reality programs revolve around competitions; others feature celebrities in their everyday lives. There are shows that centre on small groups of otherwise unknown people, probing their interactions with one another. Additionally, you'll find shows that focus on teen pregnancy and the lives of teen moms. Whatever form they take, reality shows seek to create entertainment from the uncertainty of unscripted moments and events. They also look to present shocking, awkward or otherwise inflammatory situations a consistent characteristic of most reality programming. Many of these shows are edited to create a specific theme or outcome, making them less real.
Advantages of Reality TV:
Some shows have really good concepts like KBC and some of the singing and dancing shows provide a real platform for talented people to showcase their skills.
Some of the Reality shows
- Are inspiring
- Encourages young and old talent
- All types of talent apart from singing and dancing are encouraged. People start feeling their worth like housewives
- Builds enthusiasm among public
- Exposure to people who wish to do well in the entertainment industry.
- Provides relief to people who find great satisfaction in judging others.
- Teaches you exactly how not to behave in public.
- Provides employment to poor workers who work in the entertainment industry.
- The poor background winner can get some money.
- Reality shows give more vivid and picture version of human emotions.
- Highly enthusiastic & ebullient people get a better platform to showcase their skills n talent on national television.
- Good source entertainment as compared to daily telecasted Saas-Bahu sagas, which are usually based on tedious plots.
- Help out the participants to get a celebrity like fame. For example, Ayushmann Khurrana, Arijit Singh, Shreya Ghoshal, Toshi, Monali Thakur, Abhijeet Sawant & many others have begun their career from reality shows.
- On the global front, you won't believe that even one direction, Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood etc. started their career from the same platform.
Disadvantages of Reality TV:
- They are cheesy, overly melodramatic which tend to overdo some aspects of the show quite often
- They often seem scripted.
- Some shows are so bad and still running for years, and making money. And it’s surprising and sad. Why surprising. Well, it’s evident. But sad because it makes me think that either the show makers or the audience have ZERO intellectual level. Otherwise, such shows would not have been made.
- Such shows, with their high TRP force channels to scrap good shows (one example would be Sarabhai VS Sarabhai) to make way for the reality shows
- Numbers of reality shows on television have even gone past the numbers, as they now compete with serials.
- As a result of which almost every channel got their own reality shows.
- Use of bad or abusive languages in reality shows have morally degraded our school children.
- Many of the reality shows are focusing on scripted plots to gain more TRP ratings so that they can collect huge funds from commercials.
- Now the trend of kids reality shows are Receiving great fever among the viewers but in most of the cases, injustice is done to the future of these innocent kids as their study suffers a lot & there time get consumed up in hours of rehearsals.
- Everyone is trying to compete rather focus on their abilities and disabilities
- There is lot of melodrama for TRP’S like in big boss house
- There are prejudiced
- For TRP's some are scripted
- Unwanted and violence stuff is also added for TRP
- Healthy Competition is only among few
- Jealousy develops
- They don't provide anything valuable to the society.
- Nothing of significance is spread around.
- No brain-stimulating content.
- Spread the false hope that talented people can achieve stardom but in reality, the entertainment industry is nepotistic. Connections are all that matter.
- No positivity is spread around nor do they help in educating the masses.
- Teach young impressionable kids that insolence is funny and humorous.
- Don't quote me that they provide inspiration and all because they don't. They are designed around it making us Wanna feel that way. Wanna know why? Answer this: why are almost all the participants miserable who have lost all hope in humanity and the show is their only salvation?
- No novelty. One show became Successful, now every other channel has its own version. Every country gets it own version.
Recommended Read: Privileged Childhood – A Birth Right of Every Child
Reality shows are giving the wrong perspective of what the societal norm is to viewers, and this is having a negative impact on society. Although some researchers claim that reality shows are good for society because they make charity work a societal norm amongst the viewers, and they encourage diversity, the effects on society are too harmful to circumvent.
Reality TV is still creating a false perception amongst viewers that certain material aspects of society are common, they encourage the notion side effects that bad behaviour is okay, and they skew people’s opinion of what normal relationships should be like. Why should we let television audiences be mesmerized by these shows? The more people that find the ideas in these shows to be “normal”, the bigger the overall impact these shows will have on society. It is very important to take some necessary steps against these side effects of Reality TV on our younger generation.